Indiana Legal Service, Inc. is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to providing legal representation and advice to lower income folks. Their Military Assistance Project provides free civil legal services to low-income military members, veterans, and their dependents. In addition to direct representation and advice, they hold free workshops for veterans on a variety of topics.
Eligible Individuals must have a family income less that 125% of the poverty level, or have extraordinary circumstances that bring their income below this level. 2015 Federal Poverty Guidelines can be found here. In Some cases, such as Senior Law or Foreclosure, this level can be higher. There are no income requirements for free workshops and seminars.
ILS Accepts the following types of cases:
- Housing – Foreclosures, Evictions and other Landlord-Tenant Issues
- Public benefits – VA Benefits, Food Stamps, SSI, Unemployment, Poor Relief and TANF
- Health – Medicare & Medicaid
- Divorce or Child Custody – When there is Child or Spousal Abuse
- Consumer – Collections, Repossessions, Bankruptcy
- Education – Expulsion, Special Education Services, Vocational Rehabilitation
- Employment – Access to Child Care and Transportation
- Access to Justice – Such as Denial of Court Appointed Attorney in certain civil cases
How Can You Apply For Legal Assistance?
Call a branch office in your area:
1. Bloomington Office: Serving Bartholomew, Brown, Clay, Greene, Jackson, Monroe, Morgan, Orange, Owen, Parke, Putnam, Sullivan and Vigo Counties
- (812) 339-7668 / (800) 822-4774
2. Columbus Office (60yrs & Older): Serving Bartholomew, Brown, Decator, Jackson and Jennings Counties
- (812) 372-6918 / (866) 644-6407
3. Evansville Office: Serving Daviess, Dubois, Gibson, Knox, Martin, Perry, Pike, Posey, Spencer, Vanderburgh and Warrick Counties
- (812) 426-1295 / (800) 852-3477
4. Fort Wayne Office: Serving Adams, Allen, Blackford, DeKalb, Grant, Hunington, Jay, Steuben, Wells, Whitley Counties
- (260) 424-9155 / (888) 442-8600
5. Merrillville Office: Serving Jasper Lake, Newton and Porter Counties
- (219) 738-6040 / (888) 255-5104
6. Indianapolis Office: Serving Boone, Decatur, Deleware, Fayette, Franklin, Hamilton, Hancock, Hendricks, Henry, Johnson, Madison, Marion, Randolph, Rush, Shelby, and Wayne Counties
- (317) 631-9410 / (800) 869-0212
7. Lafayette Office: Serving Benton, Carroll, Cass, Clinton, Fountain, Howard, Miami, Montgomery, Tippecanoe, Tipton, Vermillion, Wabash and White Counties
- (765) 423-5327 / (800) 382-7581
8. New Albany Office: Serving Clark, Crawford, Dearborn, Floyd, Harrison, Jefferson, Jennings, Ohio, Ripley, Scott, Switzerland, and Washington Counties.
- (812) 945-4123 / (800) 892-2776
9. South Bend Office: Serving Elkhart, Fulton, Kosciusko, LaGrange, La Porte, Marshall, Noble, Pulaski, St. Joseph, and Starke Counties
- (574) 234-8121 / (800) 288-8121